- Are your patients experiencing unexplained repeated falls?
- Are you interested in evidence-based geriatric fall prevention strategies?
- Would you like to improve your clinical outcomes in geriatric patients with chronic falls?
“I would highly recommend this course to all PTs. I think it is a “must” as it fills a knowledge gap most of us never learned in PT school and it changes the way we look at dizziness and vertigo, which I realized is much more prevalent than I originally thought.
I think the material applies to many clinical settings from inpatient rehab to outpatient orthopedics.
If you work in geriatrics, then it is a necessity to have these tools available, as dizziness, vertigo, and repeated falls are so common.”-Jim Prussack, PT
A Fresh Perspective in Geriatric Fall Prevention: Dizziness, Incontinence & Neuropathy
This course is no longer publicly available and is only offered through private consultation.
If you are a Clinic Owner or Rehab Director, contact us to schedule your private course today. Six participants is minimum and sixteen is maximum.
- Two-day weekend course with 12 hours of live instruction (a foundational part of Dr. Bell’s core, comprehensive curriculum “The Bell Method”)
- 12 hours of content = 1.2 PT CEUs earned for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants
- Course tuition includes a 150+ page innovative photo-enhanced course manual
- Clinical mentorship and business development consultation with Dr. Bell is available for Rehab Teams who want to launch a new Vestibular, Balance or Fall Prevention program or further develop an existing program.
This continuing education course is accredited for 1.2 CA PT CEU’s for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants.
Course content includes a synthesis of:
- Vestibular Dysfunction Quick Screen (for geriatric providers)
- BPPV Quick Screen (for geriatric providers)
- Geriatric considerations in assessing and treating dizziness, such as medications, cognitive-behavioral issues and chronic health conditions
- Impact of geriatric syndromes on dizziness
- Evidence-based geriatric fall prevention best practices from a public health perspective
- Age-related bladder dysfunction training program
- Normal aging of visual, vestibular and somatosensory systems
- Age-related changes to balance performance
- Changes to gait performance in patients with fear of falling
- Innovative treatment ideas for peripheral neuropathy and peripheral vascular disease, as well as postural and balance retraining
- Strategies to identify patients who require a referral to a Vestibular Specialist or other specialty providers
- Techniques for stabilizing mental fluctuations, such as fear of falling, anxiety and depression that often co-occur with falls in older adults
- Nervous system relaxation and stabilization for deep and complete healing
- Fun, active learning experiences to help with retention of key clinical concepts and to engage auditory, visual and kinesthetic learners
Course content inspired by Dr. Bell’s:
- Personal experience living with vertigo, seeking out best practices for symptom management to improve her quality of life and caregiving intermittently for her grandparents for over ten years
- Professional experience: 15 years as a licensed physical therapist, 13 years in home health geriatrics and 10 years as a Vestibular Specialist, Vestibular CEU instructor and Professional Mentor
- Public health experience in her volunteer role as Clinical Leader of the San Diego County Fall Prevention Task Force since 2008
- Rich clinical expertise developed through treating and/or consulting on thousands of cases of older adults with dizziness, vertigo, imbalance or unexplained repeated falls
This course represents a foundational part of the core, comprehensive curriculum created by Dr. Kimberley Bell, DPT, called “The Bell Method.” She recommends that all course participants consider enrolling in “Differential Diagnosis of Dizziness, Vertigo & Dysquilibrium” to learn how to perform a detailed assessment and develop a comprehensive treatment plan for patients with complaints of dizziness, vertigo and imbalance.
Saturday Schedule (6.5 hours of content)
9:00-9:30 Welcome, Course Objectives and Ground Rules (Lecture)
9:30-10:15 Visual System and Home Safety (Lecture)
10:15-11:00 Vestibular Dysfunction Screening, BPPV Screening and Referral for Vestibular Evaluation (Lab)
11:00-11:15 First Break
11:15-12:15 Geriatric vital signs and cardiovascular (Lab)
12:15-1:15 Oculomotor Exam (Lab)
2:30-4:00 Lower Extremity Examination and Treatment (Lab)
4:00-4:15 Second Break
4:15-5:15 Addressing Incontinence (Lab)
Sunday Schedule (5.5 hours of content)
9:00-9:30 Normal Aging of the Balance Systems (Lecture)
9:30-10:00 Evidence-Based Geriatric Fall Prevention Best Practices and Resources (Lecture)
10:00-11:00 Cognitive, Behavioral and Medical Considerations in Preventing Falls in Community-Dwelling Older Adults (Lecture) (Geriatric Syndromes and Anticholinergic Burden)
11:00-11:15 First Break
11:15-12:15 Self-perception, Balance and Gait Testing (Lab)
12:15-1:15 Balance Training in Geriatrics (Lab)
2:30-4:00 Case Studies (Lecture)
This is a beginner level course in geriatrics and fall prevention. Student to Faculty Ratio: 16 to 1. Type of instruction: Lecture, demonstration and lab.
The audience will…
- Understand statistics related to falls in older adults as a public health problem.
- Name three major components of geriatric fall prevention.
- Understand the key assessment components of a multi-factorial fall risk assessment.
- Learn how to quickly screen for vestibular dysfunction, including a quick BPPV screen.
- Recall when to refer to a healthcare provider who specializes in vestibular rehabilitation.
- Understand the direct relationship between geriatric syndromes, complaints of dizziness and fall risk.
- Learn innovative treatment strategies for age-related bladder dysfunction, peripheral neuropathy and peripheral vascular disease.
~ASK ANYONE GUARANTEE~
Ask anyone who has worked with Dr. Bell professionally or studied this content with her and we guarantee that they will highly recommend this course.
~EVERY GERIATRIC PATIENT GUARANTEE~
This course is guaranteed to increase the depth of the student’s geriatric and vestibular assessment skills and the realm of what course graduates have to offer every geriatric patient they see moving forward in their physical therapy careers.
To read testimonials from physicians, physical therapists, fitness professionals, patients and caregivers who have worked with Dr. Bell, click here.
For more information about Dr. Bell’s business consulting services, click here.