Afraid of falling?
Caring for a loved one who is suffering with chronic falls, vertigo, dizziness, imbalance, incontinence, or foot neuropathy?
You are in the right place! Dr. Bell is here for you. You are NOT alone. We can direct you to the proper care and guidance for your situation to help you experience comfort and relief.
Dr. Bell does not accept Medicare or other health insurance. Call 760-652-9993 or contact us to schedule your Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment initial consultation today.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a physician’s referral to be seen by a Bell Method Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist?
- No. California has a Direct Access to Physical Therapy Services law that allows patients to be seen by a physical therapist without a referral for up to 12 visits or 45 days, whichever comes first.
- If you require further care, then a physician’s referral is required.
- Physician referrals and medical diagnostics are not necessary, but are valued and welcome.
How should I prepare for my private consultation?
- This unique specialty service is designed to offer high quality, individualized Assessment and Rehabilitation Treatment for Vertigo, Dizziness and Imbalance in the privacy of your own home or hotel room.
- Book your Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and initial treatment session online or by phone. Call 760-652-9993 to book by phone.
- Gather a list of all your medications, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter, supplements and herbs.
- Complete the New Patient Intake forms and the 30+page History Taking Form prior to your consultation.
- Expect a phone call from your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist to review your history and current complaints before the in-person house call appointment.
- Be sure that you have reported your condition to your doctor because your primary care doctor may want to do his or her own exam.
- Invite a family member, caregiver or close friend to join the consultation to take notes for you or film the consultation so you don’t have to remember everything that Dr. Bell explains and teaches you by yourself.
- Eat a light breakfast and drink a glass of water on the morning of the consultation.
- Do not take any vestibular suppressant medication on the morning of the consultation. Common vestibular suppressants that your doctor may have prescribed include meclizine and scopolamine.
- Plan your schedule so that you can take it easy for the rest of the day after your initial consultation. The hands-on evaluation will trigger your symptoms so that your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist can assess the extent of your condition and make appropriate recommendations. Although she will skillfully manage your symptoms throughout the evaluation, you may still feel tired afterwards and need extra rest. You should not plan to do household chores, return to work, read, drive or cook your own dinner that evening. Some people feel absolutely fine afterwards, but some need to take it easy for the rest of the day.
- Dr. Bell and her team members kindly requests that a spouse, family member or caregiver be present for the evaluation of any patients with confusion or memory loss to assist with the evaluation and support the treatment plan.
- Expect a phone call from your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist to answer your questions within a week of the initial house call.
What will the Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment initial consultation include?
- The initial private consultation is designed for you to have a total of three hours of time and attention from your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist, in order to thoroughly investigate your case and discover possible root causes for your discomfort.
- Once you book your appointment for Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation, complete your New Patient Intake Forms and fill out your 30+ page History Taking form.
- Then your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist will review your history and call you to discuss your case for up to 30 minutes before the in-person visit at your home or hotel room.
- Your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist will come to your home or hotel room to complete a comprehensive, detailed Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and initial Physical Therapy treatment, both in one initial visit. This initial visit may last for up to 2 hours.
- Within a week after the in-person visit, your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist will call you to review the findings of the Physical Therapy Evaluation, the results of the initial treatment, provide free educational resources, recommend The Bell Method multimedia e-courses for purchase that are relevant to your specific case, and make recommendations for further physical therapy services or consultations with other healthcare providers.
- This Specialty service is unique in healthcare due to the time Dr. Bell’s team will spend investigating your case, and includes a detailed interview, hands-on clinical assessment via “The Bell Method” strategies, differential diagnosis list, patient education, physical therapy treatment recommendations and referrals to appropriate specialty providers.
What are some other benefits of consulting with Dr. Bell’s team privately for my case?
- Dr. Bell’s team offers private consultation and compassion-based health coaching that:
- Reduces your stress and feelings of worry by clearing up confusion
- Considers you as a whole person and examines all possible causes of your symptoms
- Provides direct treatment to reduce your discomfort and improve your quality of life
- Educates you on effective, self-care strategies to manage any remaining symptoms
- Recommends free educational resources and multimedia e-courses that you may want to purchase relevant to your case
- Directs you to the most skilled healthcare providers for your needs beyond the scope of physical therapy practice
- Empowers you with knowledge, skills and confidence to create a better life for yourself
- Reduces the caregiver burden for those who love you
How many visits will I need with Dr. Bell’s team?
- Dr. Bell’s team see private patients an average of 1-5 times, depending on what you need and how complex your individual case.
- Some patients choose to purchase a package of single, two, five or ten follow up physical therapy visits to optimize their balance after the initial Root Cause Physical Therapy evaluation and treatment session.
- Some patients choose to hire Dr. Bell’s team to consult with other aspects of their healthcare and personal fitness, after their vertigo is cleared up – for expert consultation on preventing future falls, caregiver training and/or exercise progression to optimize balance with normal aging.
- The total number of visits recommended is determined for each individual based the findings of the Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation hands-on clinical examination, which is completed during the initial in-person consultation, and any other health concerns.
- Specifically, the following details will affect your treatment recommendations:
1) Whether you have BPPV (in one ear, in both ears, in more than one canal)2) How many visits it takes to clear up the BPPV3) Whether you need any follow-up exercises4) If you have someone available to help coach you with your exercises
Dr. Bell’s team members cannot teach you any vestibular or balance exercises until BPPV is ruled out or completely cleared – which can be done in the first session about 85-90% of the time. Clearing BPPV takes 2+ sessions for 10-15% of patients and some patients are found to have refractory – or recurrent – BPPV.
Many people do not need any exercises for a full recovery from BPPV. The need for exercises depends on the presence of any leftover symptoms of motion sensitivity, imbalance, or blurry vision with quick head turns.
- Keep in mind that patients with dizziness have an inner ear component about 45-50% of the time. There are multiple other causes of dizziness and vertigo that may be causing you discomfort, called non-vestibular causes.
- The most important part of determining the number of visits each patient needs is completing the initial comprehensive, detailed Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and hands-on examination to determine the extent of the problem list and identify the root cause(s) of the complaints.
- Never heard of BPPV? Click here to learn more.
What conditions does Dr. Bell’s team specialize in treating?
- Dr. Kimberley Bell, DPT has consulted with thousands of patients with complaints of dizziness, vertigo, and imbalance. That is truly her gift and her team’s clinical specialty. They want to help you get your life back!
- Dr. Bell also has developed innovative treatments for headaches, foot neuropathy and age-related incontinence.
- In patients over 65 years old, her team is often consulted to evaluate cases of unexplained repeated falls or chronic falls.
- For Medicare patients who require ongoing or extended physical therapy intervention, Dr. Bell’s team can make recommendations for physical therapy services that are appropriate and are often covered by Medicare. They usually refer her patients to physical therapists Dr. Bell has personally trained through her physical therapy continuing education courses and mentorship program.
- Their holistic, integrative approach also offers patient education and exercises for reducing stress, improving sleep quality and relieving feelings of worry, despair and hopelessness, that often co-occur in patients suffering with dizziness and vertigo.
What kind of payment does Dr. Bell accept for her private consultation services and what are the prices?
- Payment for services is due at the time of booking. Credit or Debit card payments are accepted through Mind Body Online, or over the phone to reserve the appointment time and allow you to access the Intake forms and History taking form.
- The Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment initial in-person consultation is $799. Initial consultation package includes:
- Assistance completing the 30+ page History Taking Form if needed
- A comprehensive review of your case with a 30+ page History Taking Form
- A 30-minute call with your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist to review your history and current complaints prior to the in-person visit
- House Call: An in-person hands-on clinical exam and initial treatment for up to 2 hours by your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist
- A 30-minute phone call with your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist within a week of the in-person visit to review the exam findings, the results of the initial treatment and answer your questions about your case
- A Follow up email with patient education, free helpful resources, differential diagnosis list, physical therapy treatment recommendations, appropriate referrals to other specialty providers and recommendations of multimedia e-courses that may be beneficial to purchase.
- Follow up Physical Therapy visits last about 60-75 minutes for $349 per single session.
- 2-Pack of Follow up Physical Therapy Visits: $650 ($325/visit)
- 5-Pack of Follow up Physical Therapy Visits: $1,575 ($315/visit)
- 10-Pack of Follow up Physical Therapy Visits: $3,000 ($300/ visit)
- Due to California Direct Access to Physical Therapy Law, all Follow up Physical Therapy visits must be completed within 45 days of the initial visit, or the services will be placed on hold until a physician’s prescription for physical therapy is obtained.
- If unused, pre-paid follow up physical therapy visits will expire after one year from the date of purchase.
- For patients who have previously been seen by Dr. Bell or her team but have not been seen for over 3 months, a Physical Therapy Re-Evaluation will be required to initiate a New Episode of Care. The Physical Therapy Re-Evaluation is $549 and includes:
- A 15-minute call with your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist to catch up on how you have been and your current complaints.
- House Call: An in-person hands-on clinical exam and treatment for up to 90 minutes by your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist
- A 15-minute phone call with your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist within a week of the in-person visit to review the exam findings, the results of the treatment and answer your questions about your case
- A Follow up email with patient education, free helpful resources, differential diagnosis list, physical therapy treatment recommendations, appropriate referrals to other speciality providers and recommendations of multimedia e-courses that may be beneficial to purchase.
- Outlying areas of San Diego County: additional $50 travel fee will be applied for each visit.
- Dr. Bell can accept HSA (Health Savings Account) or FSA (Flexible Spending Account) debit cards.
- To review our payment policy, click here.
Why doesn’t Dr. Bell’s team take health insurance?
- Dr. Bell offers a unique service specifically for people with dizziness and vertigo. In order to support the excellent clinical outcomes that her private patients frequently enjoy, her team members must spend time with the patients to learn all the details of their case and complete a complex hands-on examination during the initial visit, along with a treatment and extensive education.
- Unfortunately, due to declining health insurance payments and increasing insurance paperwork burden, healthcare providers who accept health insurance are not able to spend as much time with their patients as Dr. Bell’s team require for their services.
- Keep in mind that the average patient with vertigo sees 4-5 different doctors and spends $2,000 just to get an adequate diagnosis. They are often subject to unnecessary diagnostic testing, sometimes take inappropriate medications and suffer from delays in care for weeks to months, even for years.
- Dr. Bell’s team offer the initial evaluation and treatment for $799, which is significantly less than an average patient with vertigo spends just for an adequate diagnosis.
- If you want to use your health insurance, there are other providers who will accept your health insurance. You can find them at Vestibular.org.
- Many patients tell us they find that insurance-based healthcare providers do not have adequate time to thoroughly review their history or to assess them in detail for root causes of their complaints, much less provide personalized education and recommendations for optimal outcomes.
- When making your decisions, it is recommended to check your deductible and co-pay or co-insurance, as many health care plans have high out-of-pocket costs for covered services.
- If you have already consulted with all the experts who take your health insurance and are still suffering, don’t give up hope. Dr. Bell and her team are here for you.
- A comprehensive hands-on clinical exam by a skilled Vestibular Specialist is shown to be superior to MRI and other diagnostic tests under many circumstances.
What if I can’t afford to hire Dr. Bell’s team right now?
- Join our mailing list so we can send you free, helpful information and notify you when Dr. Bell has created multimedia resources for you that are lower cost. She and her team are working hard to meet your needs. Dr. Bell understands that many patients who suffer with dizziness and vertigo are unable to work full time and have financial difficulties.
- Visit the Vestibular Disorders Association at vestibular.org to find another vestibular provider in your area.
- Save up or ask your friends and family to donate to your consultation fee. If you still suffer after you have seen another vestibular provider, you can hire Dr. Bell’s team in the future when you have the resources.
Will I be able to talk with my Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist after the consultation if I have questions?
- All private patients will have a follow up phone call with their Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist for up to thirty minutes to review the Root Cause Physical Therapy evaluation findings, the results of the initial treatment and answer your questions within a week of the initial in-person consultation.
- Additional support and coaching is available as pre-paid follow up call with your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist as follows:
- 30-minute Phone Call with your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist: $125
- 60-minute Phone Call with your Vestibular Specialist Physical Therapist: $249
If I travel to San Diego to for a Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment, what are your travel recommendations?
- If you are traveling to San Diego, you may want to fly into the San Diego airport.
- International patients usually fly into LAX and drive south to San Diego in a rental car.
- Dr. Bell requests that you reserve your stay in the coastal area of northern San Diego County near the beaches of Carlsbad, so that you are within five miles of Moonlight Beach in Encinitas, California.
- She recommends that you plan to stay for at least three days to allow for follow-up visits and/or further evaluation by another local provider if you have multiple causes of dizziness.
- Many patients are able to deduct their travel costs to San Diego as a “medical trip” on their tax return. Dr. Bell recommends for you to discuss that option with your Accountant.
- Please note: San Diego County has a high volume of summer tourists so hotel and flight prices are the most expensive from May through September every year.
What if I don’t live in San Diego and I am unable to travel to San Diego?
- Dr. Bell’s team offers house calls for private patients only in San Diego, California.
- For patients traveling from out of town, Dr. Bell’s team will make the in-person visit in the hotel room or bed & breakfast.
- Patients who are not able to travel to San Diego, California, may choose to involve their physician, physician’s assistant, nurse practitioner, physical therapist or occupational therapist in a professional consultation with Dr. Bell.
- Dr. Bell mentors healthcare providers across the US and currently consults with healthcare providers worldwide on their most complex cases of patients with dizziness, vertigo, imbalance and unexplained repeated falls.
- Join our mailing list so we can send you free, helpful information and keep in touch with you.
If I contact Dr. Bell via email, will my personal health information be protected?
- In-person consultation is recommended to ensure the protection of your personal health information. Email communication is not secure and can be intercepted by a third party.
- All private patients complete an email consent form during the New Patient Intake process in order to allow communication with our team via email.
If Dr. Bell does not see me herself, how will she keep track of my case and my results?
- The quality of care provided by her team and your satisfaction are of the absolute importance to Dr. Bell.
- Clinical Outcomes and Customer Satisfaction are measured, collected and analyzed by the Bell Method Outcomes Analyst and Dr. Kimberley Bell, DPT at specific time points.
- Initial Clinical Outcome data is captured on the 30+ page History Taking Form.
- All private patients will have an opportunity to share with Dr. Bell about their experience through the follow up Clinical Outcomes collection and Customer Satisfaction survey that will be sent out 45 days after the initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment.
- Clinical Outcomes are also collected one year after the initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment in order to monitor past patients for any recurrence in symptoms and provide timely follow up.
You may feel that you are at the end of the road with no hope. With Dr. Bell’s wisdom, guidance and compassion, you may be able to live a beautiful life, better than you can even imagine.
To read testimonials from private patients and caregivers who have worked with Dr. Bell and her team, click here.