Private Consultations for Patients and Caregivers
Afraid of falling?
Caring for a loved one who is suffering with chronic falls, vertigo, dizziness, imbalance, incontinence, or foot neuropathy?
Private consultations for Patients and Caregivers are available with Dr. Kimberley Bell, DPT.
You are in the right place! Dr. Bell is here for you. You are NOT alone. We can direct you to the proper care and guidance for your situation to help you experience comfort and relief.
“I’m done with the doctor who takes my insurance but only spends five minutes with me.
I just want your team to take care of me!”- C.S.
Dr. Bell does not accept Medicare or other health insurance for private consultations with patients or caregivers.
Call 760-652-9993 or contact us to schedule your Initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatments Specialty Consultation today.
Request a Consultation Online.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a physician’s referral to be seen by Dr. Bell or her team?
- No. California has a Direct Access to Physical Therapy Services law that allows patients to be seen by a physical therapist without a referral for up to 12 visits or 45 days, whichever comes first.
- If you require further care, then a physician’s referral is required.
- Physician referrals and medical diagnostics are not necessary, but are valued and welcome.
“A major PLUS to your treatment is a huge reduction in my anxiety when riding in the car.
I had been blaming my husband’s driving!
But I have to admit that the drive home was much more relaxed than the drive to California.”- Julie H.
How should I prepare for my private consultation?
- This unique specialty service is designed to offer high quality, individualized Assessment and Rehabilitation Treatment for Vertigo, Dizziness and Imbalance in the privacy of your own home or hotel room.
- Book your Initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatments Specialty Consultation Package online, by email or by phone. Call 760-652-9993 to book by phone.
- Gather a list of all your medications, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter, supplements and herbs.
- Expect a phone call from your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist to review your medical history, symptoms and current complaints before the in-person house call appointment.
- If requested by your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist, complete the New Patient Intake forms and the 25+ page History Taking Form prior to your in-person consultation.
- Be sure that you have reported your condition to your doctor because your primary care doctor may want to do his or her own exam.
- Invite a family member, caregiver or close friend to join the consultation to take notes for you or film the consultation so you don’t have to remember everything that your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist explains and teaches you by yourself.
- Eat a light breakfast and drink a glass of water on the morning of the consultation.
- Do not take any vestibular suppressant medication on the morning of the consultation. Common vestibular suppressants that your doctor may have prescribed include meclizine and scopolamine.
- Plan your schedule so that you can take it easy for the rest of the day after your initial consultation. The hands-on evaluation will trigger your symptoms so that your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist can assess the extent of your condition and make appropriate recommendations. Although she will skillfully manage your symptoms throughout the evaluation, you may still feel tired afterwards and need extra rest. You should not plan to do household chores, return to work, read, drive or cook your own dinner that evening. Some people feel absolutely fine afterwards, but some need to take it easy for the rest of the day.
- Dr. Bell and her team members kindly requests that a spouse, family member or caregiver be present for the evaluation of any patients with confusion or memory loss to assist with the evaluation and support the treatment plan.
- Please secure all pets before your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist arrives so your pets do not cause an interruption to the visit or interfere with your care inadvertently.
- Plan for a timely in-person follow up visit with your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist to review your progress, discuss the exam findings, go over suggested next steps, and provide further instructions and resources.
“This changed my life! NOBODY had ever even CARED about my Vertigo before, let alone tell me they could help me.
And add to that – [my therapist] came to my house to help me.”- Dawn B.
What does the Initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatments Specialty Consultation package include?
- The initial private consultation is designed for you to have a total of 3-4 hours of time and directed attention from your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist, in order to thoroughly investigate your case and discover possible root causes for your discomfort.
- After you book your appointment for Initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatments Specialty Consultation Package, your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist call you to review your medical history, symptoms and current complaints for up to 30 minutes before the in-person visit at your home or hotel room.
- Depending on your individual case, your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist may ask you to fill out a 25+ page History Taking form before the in-person visit.
- Your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist will come to your home or hotel room to complete a comprehensive, detailed Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and initial Physical Therapy treatment, both in the first visit. This is a high complexity physical therapy evaluation, so the initial visit may last for up to 2-2.5 hours, depending on the exam findings.
- In a timely manner, your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist will schedule an in-person follow up visit with you to review the findings of the Physical Therapy Evaluation, the results of the initial treatment, considerations and suggested next steps, including free online educational resources, The Bell Method multimedia e-courses for purchase that are relevant to your specific case, instructions in appropriate exercise and self-care strategies, recommendations for appropriate assistive devices or equipment, and recommendations for further physical therapy services or consultations with other specialty healthcare providers.
- This Specialty Consultation service is unique in healthcare due to the time Dr. Bell’s team will spend investigating your case and personalizing your treatment plan, and includes a detailed interview, hands-on clinical assessment and treatment via “The Bell Method” strategies.
What are some other benefits of consulting with Dr. Bell’s team privately for my case?
- Dr. Bell’s team offers private consultations and compassion-based health coaching that:
- Reduces your stress and feelings of worry by clearing up confusion
- Considers you as a whole person and examines all possible causes of your symptoms
- Provides direct treatment to reduce your discomfort and improve your quality of life
- Instructs appropriate, customized exercises to reduce if not completely eliminate your symptoms
- Educates you on effective, self-care strategies to manage any remaining symptoms
- Recommends free educational resources and multimedia e-courses that you may want to purchase relevant to your case
- Suggests appropriate assistive devices or equipment
- Directs you to the most skilled specialty healthcare providers for your needs beyond the scope of physical therapy practice
- Empowers you with knowledge, skills and confidence to create a better life for yourself
- Reduces the caregiver burden for those who love you
“During her evaluation, I felt completely confident in her ability even though some parts of the process were necessarily, disorienting.
She offered continual education and reassurance.
While I was working with her, I felt I understood every step of the process.
What might otherwise have been an alarming experience was greatly minimized,
due to her careful explanations and kind and compassionate attention.”- Deb S.
How many visits will I need with Dr. Bell’s team?
- Dr. Bell’s team see private patients anywhere from 1-10 times, depending on what you need and how complex your individual case.
- Some patients choose to purchase a package of single, two, five or ten follow up physical therapy visits to optimize their balance after the Initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatments Package sessions are completed.
- Some patients choose to hire Dr. Bell’s team to consult with other aspects of their healthcare and personal fitness, after their vertigo is cleared up – for expert consultation on preventing future falls, caregiver training and/or exercise progression to optimize balance with normal aging.
- The total number of visits recommended is determined for each individual based the findings of the Initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation hands-on clinical examination and response to treatment – which is completed during the initial in-person consultation – and any other health concerns.
- Specifically, the following details will affect your treatment recommendations:
1) Whether you have BPPV (in one ear, in both ears, in more than one canal)2) How many visits it takes to clear up the BPPV3) Whether you need any follow-up exercises4) If you have someone available to help coach you with your exercises
Dr. Bell’s team members cannot teach you any vestibular or balance exercises until BPPV is ruled out or completely cleared – which can be done in the first session about 85-90% of the time. Clearing BPPV takes 2+ sessions for 10-15% of patients and some patients are found to have refractory – or recurrent – BPPV.
Many people do not need any exercises for a full recovery from BPPV. The need for exercises depends on the presence of any leftover symptoms of motion sensitivity, imbalance, or blurry vision with quick head turns.
- Keep in mind that patients with dizziness have an inner ear component about 45-50% of the time. There are multiple other causes of dizziness and vertigo that may be causing you discomfort, called non-vestibular causes.
- The most important part of determining the number of visits each patient needs is completing the initial comprehensive, detailed Initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and hands-on examination to determine the extent of the problem list and identify the root cause(s) of the complaints.
- Never heard of BPPV? Click here to learn more.
What conditions does Dr. Bell’s team specialize in treating?
- Dr. Kimberley Bell, DPT has consulted with thousands of patients with complaints of dizziness, vertigo, and imbalance. That is truly her gift and her team’s clinical specialty. They want to help you get your life back!
- Dr. Bell also has developed innovative treatments for headaches, foot neuropathy and age-related incontinence.
- In patients over 65 years old, her team is often consulted to evaluate underlying causes of unexplained repeated falls, fear of falling, general unsteadiness and chronic falls.
- For Medicare patients who require ongoing or extended physical therapy intervention, Dr. Bell’s team may be able to recommend physical therapy services that are appropriate and are covered by Medicare. They usually refer her patients to physical therapists Dr. Bell has personally trained through her physical therapy continuing education courses and mentorship program.
- Their heart-centered, integrative approach also offers patient education and exercises for reducing stress, improving sleep quality and relieving feelings of worry, despair and hopelessness, that often co-occur in patients suffering with dizziness and vertigo.
“She was very present, kind and convincingly capable of solving my problem.
Dr. Bell is a doctor I can trust – I trust her skills and caring.
I highly recommend her services to others suffering with vertigo, without a question or hesitation.
Admit the frequency of unsteadiness, loss of balance, and bumping into things.
Stop procrastinating and postponing treatment. Call Dr. Bell. Just do it!”- Adrien S.
What kind of payment does Dr. Bell accept for her private consultation services and what are the prices?
- Cash, Check, Credit Card or Debit Card payments are accepted.
- The Initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatments Consultation Package is $799. Initial consultation package includes:
- Phone call with your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist to review your medical history, symptoms and current complaints prior to the in-person visit (up to 30 minutes)
- Initial House Call: An in-person comprehensive hands-on clinical exam and initial treatment using The Bell Method strategies for up to 2 hours by your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist in the privacy of your home or hotel room
- A timely in-person follow up visit with your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist to review your progress after the initial treatment, discuss the exam findings including a list of contributing factors and suggested next steps, includes physical therapy follow up treatment plan recommendations, answers your questions about your case, instructions in appropriate exercise and self-care strategies, recommendations for appropriate assistive devices or equipment, referrals to other specialty healthcare providers, free helpful online resources and recommendations for The Bell Method multimedia e-courses for purchase relevant to your situation.
- Physical Therapy in-person follow up visit options are ideal for patients who prefer hands-on, individualized and personalized rehabilitation in the privacy of their own home (or hotel room).
- Follow up Physical Therapy visits of 60-75 minutes in length are to be used within 45 days of the physical therapy evaluation.
- Single additional in-home visit……$349 per single session.
- Package of two (2)…………………… $650 ($325/visit)
- Package of five (5)…………………….$1,575 ($315/visit)
- Package of ten (10)……………………$3,000 ($300/ visit)
- Due to California Direct Access to Physical Therapy Law, should follow-up appointments extend beyond 45 days from the initial in-person physical therapy evaluation visit, a physician referral for physical therapy must be obtained by the patient and he/she agrees that services will be paused until a physician’s prescription for physical therapy is received.
- All packages must be used within one year of purchase. If unused, pre-paid follow up physical therapy visits will expire after one year from the date of purchase.
- If Physical Therapy goals are accomplished prior to completion of all physical therapy follow up visits in a package, all patients will automatically enroll in a Balance Optimization and Wellness program to prepare for normal aging.
- Post-care Phone Calls are available for Returning Patients who want to discuss their case further by phone.
- 30-minute follow up phone call: $125
- 60-minute follow up phone call: $249
- For returning patients who have not been seen in person for the last 3 months and would like to be seen in person again, a Physical Therapy In-Person Re-Evaluation is required to initiate a New Episode of Care. The Physical Therapy Re-Evaluation is $449 and includes:
- A 30-minute call with your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist to catch up on how you have been and your current complaints,
- House Call: An in-person hands-on clinical exam and treatment for up to 90 minutes by your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist,
- A brief follow up phone call with your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist within a week of the in-person visit to review the exam findings, the results of the treatment and answer your questions about your case, and review recommended next steps
- Outlying areas of San Diego County: additional $50 travel fee will be applied for each visit
- Dr. Bell can accept HSA (Health Savings Account) or FSA (Flexible Spending Account) debit cards.
- To review our payment policy, click here.
“She helps people all over the country and internationally.
She has helped me a lot and I am very grateful for her work, her professionalism, her caring, and her warmth.
I recommend her to anyone struggling with dizziness, whatever it’s source and especially if they do not know the source.”- Chris S.
Why doesn’t Dr. Bell’s team take health insurance?
- Dr. Bell offers a unique service specifically for people with dizziness, vertigo and imbalance. In order to support the excellent clinical outcomes that her private patients frequently enjoy, her team members must spend time with the patients to learn all the details of their case and complete a complex hands-on examination during the initial visit, along with a treatment and extensive education.
- Unfortunately, due to declining health insurance payments and increasing insurance paperwork burden, healthcare providers who accept health insurance are not able to spend as much time with their patients as Dr. Bell’s team require for their services.
Keep in mind that the average patient with vertigo sees 4-5 different doctors and spends $2,000 just to get an adequate diagnosis. They are often subject to unnecessary diagnostic testing, sometimes take inappropriate medications and suffer from delays in care for weeks to months, even for years.
- Dr. Bell’s team offer the initial evaluation and treatment plus one follow up visit for $799, which is significantly less than an average patient with vertigo spends just for an adequate diagnosis.
- If you want to use your health insurance, there are other providers who will accept your health insurance. You can find them at Vestibular.org.
Many patients tell us they find that insurance-based healthcare providers do not have adequate time to thoroughly review their history or to assess them in detail for root causes of their complaints, much less provide personalized education and recommendations for optimal outcomes.
- When making your decisions, it is recommended to check your deductible and co-pay or co-insurance, as many health care plans have high out-of-pocket costs for covered services.
- If you have already consulted with all the experts who take your health insurance and are still suffering, don’t give up hope. Dr. Bell and her team are here for you.
A comprehensive hands-on clinical exam by a skilled Vestibular Expert clinician is shown to be superior to MRI and other diagnostic tests under many circumstances.
What if I can’t afford to hire Dr. Bell’s team right now?
- Join our mailing list so we can send you free, helpful information and notify you when Dr. Bell has created multimedia resources for you that are lower cost. She and her team are working hard to meet your needs. Dr. Bell understands that many patients who suffer with dizziness and vertigo are unable to work full time and have financial difficulties.
- Visit the Vestibular Disorders Association at vestibular.org to find another vestibular provider in your area.
- Ask your friends and family to donate to your consultation fee. If you still suffer after you have seen another vestibular provider, you can hire Dr. Bell’s team in the future when you have the resources.
“She is passionate about helping people, inspirational and personable!
Not your regular PT experience!”- Leah S.
Will I be able to talk with my Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist after the consultation if I have questions?
- Additional support and coaching is available for returning patients via pre-paid post-care calls with your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist as follows:
- 30-minute Phone Call with your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist: $125
- 60-minute Phone Call with your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist: $249
Will consulting with Dr. Bell’s team be the “final step” in my recovery from my uncomfortable symptoms?
- It depends. Everyone is different, so the answer varies between individuals.
- For some patients, this consultation is the final step in their recovery and they are able to enjoy a complete recovery after consulting with Dr. Bell’s team.
- Other patients require physical therapy follow up visits to optimize outcomes and/or consultations with additional specialty healthcare providers.
- Since the service is unique and personalized, your Vestibular Expert Physical Therapist will review your prognosis, considerations, suggested next steps and any additional care you may need once your Initial Root Cause Evaluation and Treatments are completed.
To read more testimonials from private patients regarding their experience and the outcomes of their consultation, click here.
“Dr. Kim Bell is an excellent clinician! She is very compassionate, caring and really spends time to determine the root cause of dizziness and vertigo of her patients, and effectively designs a treatment plan.
I had a car accident 9 years ago and had on and off dizziness since then.
I was seen by different doctors and had taken medications but my dizziness did not go away.
Dr. Bell was able to identify and solve the missing piece of the puzzle and has helped me tremendously!
I have also seen how her skilled interventions improved the quality of life of other patients.
You are truly a blessing Dr. Bell!”- Angelita H.
If I travel to San Diego to for the Initial Root Cause Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatments, what are your travel recommendations?
- If you are traveling to San Diego, you may want to fly into the San Diego airport.
- International patients usually fly into LAX and drive south to San Diego in a rental car.
- Dr. Bell requests that you reserve your stay in the coastal area of northern San Diego County near the beaches of Carlsbad, so that you are within five miles of Moonlight Beach in Encinitas, California.
- She recommends that you plan to stay for at least three days to allow for follow-up visits and/or further evaluation by another local provider if you have multiple causes of dizziness.
- Many patients are able to deduct their travel costs to San Diego as a “medical trip” on their tax return. Dr. Bell recommends for you to discuss that option with your Accountant.
- Please note: San Diego County has a high volume of summer tourists so hotel and flight prices are the most expensive from May through September every year.
What if I don’t live in San Diego and I am unable to travel to San Diego?
- Dr. Bell’s team offers house calls for private patients only in San Diego, California.
- For patients traveling from out of town, Dr. Bell’s team will make the in-person visit in the hotel room or bed & breakfast.
- Patients who are not able to travel to San Diego, California, may choose to involve their physician, physician’s assistant, nurse practitioner, physical therapist or occupational therapist in a professional consultation with Dr. Bell.
- Dr. Bell mentors healthcare providers across the US and currently consults with healthcare providers worldwide on their most complex cases of patients with dizziness, vertigo, imbalance and unexplained repeated falls.
- Join our mailing list so we can send you free, helpful information and keep in touch with you.
If I contact Dr. Bell via email, will my personal health information be protected?
- In-person consultation is recommended to ensure the protection of your personal health information. Email communication is not secure and can be intercepted by a third party.
- All private patients complete an email consent form during the New Patient Intake process in order to allow communication with our team via email.
You may feel that you are at the end of the road with no hope. We are here for you!
With Dr. Bell’s wisdom, guidance and compassion, you may be able to live a beautiful life, better than you can even imagine.
To read more testimonials from private patients and caregivers who have worked with Dr. Bell and her team, click here.